Monday, April 14, 2008

The Roy bug

Last week was very interesting in that I met a man whom i will probably remember for a great many years to come. I have met many inspiring presenters in the WOW programme but none who stood out as Mr Roy Blumenthal. Firstly, he started communicating,threatening to be precise,a week in advance. Through a long list of instructions to be accomplished by the group before his presentation day. I will not go into the details of the list except to say that it got me so worried, i developed serious stomach cramps. On the day of the presentation, I literally dragged myself out of bed and into the seminar room. I figured that if I was to learn, he was probably going to be the best teacher on the subject of blogging. I was glad I had showed up for presentation because the man turned out to be quite the opposite of the monster he had made himself out to be in his e-mail. He explained why he had chosen the approach he did (scaring us) and what he hoped to achieve. I initially found blogging to be challenging seeing as I was not sure what to write or how to write it. Having pointed out that this was not uncommon, he took time to explain how blogs work, what they are meant for and how they can expand our networks. He urged us to write whatever we felt like sharing and not to worry too much about subject issues.

As I sat there listening to Roy, I could not help but be amazed at how much we learn through experience. I had just spent days trying to meet Roy's requirements and I resented him for it yet if I had not, I would not have learnt about blogging. Later on he showed us some of his work he did as a visual facilitator. They were the most colourful and liveliest powerpoint presentations I had ever come across. His creativity I must add, showed in his dress (I loved the hairstyle) as well. In short, Roy made me want to blog. Below are a list of things I learnt from Roy:

-listening to instruction saves a lot of time
-be prepared for anything ,you never who or what you might have to work with.
-remember to carry out one's duties to the best of one's ability
-an open mind helps one to work better with others
-communication is the best place to start with any challenge
-worrying can be very painful
-do not judge a man by his e-mail
-creativity pays (very well in his case).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home