Saturday, May 31, 2008

Work project

After much consideration, I have finally decided that I will work on the subject of migration and xenophobia. The decision was made by me (with a bit of encouragement) from my work supervisor. It is quite a topical subject considering the xenophobic attacks that have recently erupted in Johannesburg and spilled over into other cities. The attacks have been spreading like wild fire and there are fears that it might just get out of hand and turn into a full scale ethnic cleansing wave. Xenophobia has always been a problem in South Africa, it is just that the recent attacks erupted on an scale that was not anticipated. I intend to examine how anti- outsider sentiments manifesting themselves as xenophobic attacks relate to issues of human rights. I will have to read and google a lot for this subject because, fascinating though it is, my knowledge of history, law and human rights is minimal. I do not mind the reading though, I really miss the smell of the library and the sight of tall shelves staked with thick volumes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home