Friday, June 27, 2008

Selling ideas.

I am happy to report that my material for the exhibition is finally coming together. I have had the least expected people come up to me and offer to help. Some of these are the very people who were not so nice to me before. I had one fellow who refused to help me before call me and apologise for his bad behaviour. Apparently he was having a bad time then. Anyway, he was offering to help with whatever he could because as he put it, I had asked nicely in a very convincing manner. This made me feel better about myself; at least now I know it was not anything I said that annoyed him. from all the suffering I have had to go through trying to get material, I have learnt one or two things. People are not unwilling to help; they just need to be convinced that they should help. They need to be convinced in the right way using carefully selected and applied language as well as tone. I suppose peoples' responses are determined by how they are communicated things to. Since the photographer apologised, he has been very helpful; sending me stuff that he thinks could be of help. He is very well connected to people in high places, people who have the capacity to make things happen in no time. If we treat him well, I am sure he will prove to be quite helpful in the future as well. I think I will keep him as one of my networks.

3 Comments:

At June 29, 2008 at 6:06 AM , Blogger Masale.Vorster said...

It's good to know he has finally admitted to being rude towards you and is now willing to help, otherwise you would still be wondering what exactly did you say to actually upset him that much, and that was going to have a negative impact on your report. I'm just glad you will now focus on your work fully without any worries. Good luck with the report and know that all the Wowers are there for you.

Vorster.

 
At July 3, 2008 at 1:56 PM , Blogger Lesley Emanuel said...

Such power in this sentence: "People are not unwilling to help; they just need to be convinced that they should help." Wow, Nomusa, you have really inspired me - and I have the sense that you can achieve ANYTHING you want with this attitude, your courtesy and perseverance! Well done.

 
At July 4, 2008 at 1:44 AM , Blogger Jean Power said...

Great weblog Nomusa. I'd like to see your exhibition. All the best Jean

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home