Saturday, July 5, 2008

The outsider's view.

On Thursday I had a meeting with the director. He wanted to know what my perceptions of the place were and what I thought about the tasks I had done so far. He said he thought it was best to ask me seeing as I was new and had what he called an outsider's view of operations in the company. I was thus more likely to see things he would not as someone who had been in the place for a long time. He made it clear he wanted honest opinions. At first I was worried that I was in trouble and that what I might say might not be what he was hoping to hear. All the same, I took the oppprtunity to voice what I felt were my areas of concern. As an intern, I did not want to appear as too outspoken or opinionated lest this comprimises one's position with the company. I pointed out what I felt were areas that needed addressing. I was surprised to see him scribbling down as I spoke. I was thinking to myself that he was probably recording evidence to be used against me in future. I was suprised to find that he was not aware of some of the thing I brought up and that he took me seriously, even asking how I thought we could address some of these issues. He mentioned some of his own opinions about issues which I did not necessarily agree with. I pointed this out as well and provided reasons for my different opinions. I was suprised he received this well; I was not too sure if directors take kindly to differences of opinion. I made it a point to be clear and precise without being critical and I made sure I avoided pointing fingers. An hour and a half later, I walked out of the director's office feeling very uncertain. What if deep down he was seething at the thought of an intern who had dared to have an opinion? What if he really did not want honesty? What if he fires someone because of what I said? I thought to myself that I had given my honest opinion as he had asked and that it was up to him to do what he wanted with it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home